Spaces

This post is also available in: Deutsch

Space is the new name for the board.
Coming soon with the KanBo 3.0 version!

Spaces and cards are the basic units of KanBo. With its user-friendly interface and intuitive tools, they provide a flexible solution that can meet the needs of even the largest organizations.

Space is a collection of cards arranged in a highly customized way. They provide a visual representation of workflow and allow users to manage and track tasks. They typically represent projects, teams, or specific areas of focus. Spaces facilitate collaboration, coordination, and effective task management in a digital environment.

From basic space creation to advanced customization options, KanBo provides the features and functionality required to streamline workflows, increase productivity, and foster collaboration. Explore the benefits of KanBo spaces.

How to use spaces?

Space is a product, project, resource, or organizational structure that is constantly evolving. It can represent anything and have a variety of uses. 

Using space views you can present the same cards arranged in different ways, depending on what is needed at the time. For example, cards can be displayed on a chart, a list, a calendar, or a mind map.

The initial space view is the Kanban view visible in the example above. Click on the image to see it in its original size.

How to start?

1. Create the space.
  2. Divide the work into tasks and create cards for them.
  3. Describe cards using available card elements and categorize them.
  4. Use space views to visualize the work stages.

The Kanban view is the basic way to organize the work. It is focused on grouping cards (tasks) according to predetermined criteria e.g. priority, status of completion, responsible person.

However, spaces give you the opportunity to visualize work in a variety of ways, and the Kanban view is just one of them. Considering the differences in the way each department works within the company and the individual preferences of employees, we have created 7 unique space views for your projects.

Collaborate with others using spaces

Once you create the space, let others see it, help with particular pieces of work and give feedback.

1. Invite other users to the space.
  2. Engage space users by assigning them cards.
  3. Use mentions in comments and chat messages to communicate. 

Your own space - My Space

What if you have to work on many complex projects at the same time?

Use My Space to collect cards from other spaces and visualize your personal stream of work. All cards in My Space are mirrors of cards from the origin project spaces. You can use Calendar or Kanban view to plan your own tasks. Learn how to manage My Space.

The example below shows the Kanban view with card grouping by spaces selected in My Space.

FAQ

Spaces are collections of cards that allow you to organize and visualize work. A space can be a product, project, resource, or organizational structure that is under continuous development. 

There are three levels of space access: owner, member, and visitor. Only the space owner can add new users to the space by using the user’s section.

Yes, follow the space to get a notification about every space action.

Use card relations to connect cards between different spaces.

Yes, you can duplicate a space or make a space template using an existing space. Then you can create new spaces based on that template.

Yes, every user has a space called My Space. You can track all cards you are following in one place.

Was this article helpful?

Please, contact us if you have any additional questions.