Kanban Swimlanes (Two-dimensional card grouping)
- Understanding card grouping
- Two-dimensional grouping (Swimlanes)
- Moving cards between cells
- Collapsing list
Kanban Swimlanes are the Kanban view feature that enables two-dimensional card grouping.
When there are a large number of tasks to manage, swimlanes can help to break the work down into smaller, more manageable chunks, making it easier to focus on one thing at a time.
Sample usage scenarios:
- multiple teams working on a project - allow each team to track their own progress and prioritize their work
- different priorities or values - group urgent or important tasks together without losing sight of the entire process
- different locations - allowing teams to focus on tasks that can be completed in their area
- multiple stages in a process - highlight each stage, making it easier to see where tasks are in the process and what the next steps are
Kanban Swimlanes can be use in a wide range of industries. Overall, the use of this tool will depend on the specific needs and goals of the department, as well as the nature of the work being done.Kanban view in KanBo you can group your cards into columns.
Depending on the selection KanBo will create columns (lists) containing cards that have the same value for the property selected for grouping.
Five card properties to select from:card grouping basics.
In the Kanban view in KanBo you can also group cards in two dimensions at the same time - that is called Kanban Swimlanes. The horizontal grouping is permanently there in the Kanban view. Optionally you can choose to group also vertically.
This example shows horizontal grouping by statuses and vertical grouping set to “None”. Now we add vertical grouping by Lists.
On the left side you can see Lists and Statuses at the top. Inside of cells you see cards that have the same List and Status set.
You can not only move cards from left to right, you can also move cards vertically up and down. All these movements change the corresponding value selected by the corresponding grouping.
When we move a card horizontal and vertical way at the same time, we change two values at once.
All columns have a new icon on the right side. You can collapse a list by clicking it. When you click it again your list will expand to its original size. This also works for vertical (swimlanes) grouping columns.
|NOTE Whenever you change something on the view, you see notification about unsaved changes. If you want to keep it, better save the view.|
Go back to the Table of Contents.